Thursday, December 11, 2014

He says Yes

I still look back on my life in the past decade and still wonder at where God has led me.

2004 -- I was at Trevecca in Nashville
2007 -- I was at Erskine in Due West, SC
2008 -- Mom got diagnosed with rare adrenal cancer that was already stage 4
2009 -- Mom went home to be with the Lord.  Dad and Andrew lived at home and I had one year left at Erskine.
2010 -- I moved back to Conyers, began volunteering at Refuge Pregnancy Center, got involved with a young adult group out of Grace Community Fellowship in Snellville, and became children's minister at Trinity EPC in Loganville.
2011 -- A lady moved into our house to care for Andrew.  I started attending Clayton State University.  Dad moved five minutes away to live with his dad and brother.  I was not able to go to the GCF group anymore, but I did start attending BCM.
2012 -- I went to a BCM small group at the leader's house and sat on a couch next to Tim.
2013 -- I married the same Tim and we moved in with Dad, Pappy, and uncle Delmous.  Andrew and Mary still lived at the house I grew up in.  I worked at the LifeWay on Cleveland Avenue in Atlanta
2014 -- Mary moved to Florida, Tim and I moved into my old house with Andrew, and now I'm greatly involved at my church and my job which happen to be the same place.

I see myself in 2004, and I see where God has led me.  I feel amazed, baffled, grateful, and fulfilled.

This past Sunday at CBC, the sermon was about "ask, and it shall be given to you."
Recently, I was floored by Paul's statement in 2 Corinthians 1, "Do I make my plans according to the flesh, ready to say “Yes, yes” and “No, no” at the same time? 18 As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No. 19 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. 20 For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory."

Every promise in God is yes.  If you ask God for something, he will give it to you.  But I agree with Brooks when he said that God has not always answered my prayers with a yes.  He said no to many boys that I liked up until I met Tim.  He said no to healing my mother from cancer in this life.  He said no to many jobs and situations that I wanted.

But he did answer my prayer and he did give me what I needed.  I wanted a husband in 2004.  I finally married him in 2013.  After breaking my heart, with guys named Chris, guys named Michael, and one really close friend at Erskine who was the last one I liked before I met Tim, he answered yes to my question by letting me meet Tim at the BCM leader's house.

He answered my prayer by taking my mother home to live with him.  But he still said yes.  We wanted her healing.  He gave her the perfect healing with no sin or any troubles.  I look forward to the new heaven and new earth that He will build when he comes again.

And I certainly have not become a famous singer in Nashville, a long-term missionary in Ukraine, or traveled the country on a book-signing tour.  But I spent one year as a missionary in South Atlanta at LifeWay, I am now in a band at church, I now teach at that church's school, and I am more involved with children's ministry.

So I look back and times when I went out of my mind wondering where God would lead me.  I still have those times.  But if God made a promise and made a will, then it will end in a yes.  It certainly will not be yessed today or possibly even in this life.  If it does, that will be great, but I look forward to the ultimate yes when Jesus comes to rule his universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment