Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Judges: Faithful Caleb

In Numbers 13, Moses sent twelve spies to see the new land of Canaan and check it out.  They came back and said it was a very nice land.  Here are some grapes. 

But, oh no, there are giants, descendants of Anak, there, and they are going to destroy us. 

Only two men sent a completely good report: Joshua and Caleb.  Verse 30:

Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, “We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it.”

These two men were the only ones to survive the next 40 years and did take the land.  God led the rest of the people on a u-turn and took them back through the wilderness until the grumbling generation died off and their kids were old enough to take the land.

Now, they have come to the promised land.  Caleb got to see the realization of his dreams at last.  He led the tribe of Judah to Jerusalem and Hebron and took that area of the land and settled there.  He also promised his daughter Achsah to the man who would also help conquer Kiriath Sepher.  His nephew Othniel did that and married Achsah.  Then Achsah asked her dad if she could also have some streams in her land.  He said yes.

So, did Caleb save the nation and all was happy ever after?  No, eventually Caleb died and the people turned to other gods again.  In fact, David had to conquer Jerusalem again and make it his capital when he became king.  Caleb didn't finish the job.  Who will finish the job of conquering evil and destroying sin?  Jesus of course.  Caleb was only a preview of what Jesus would accomplish. 

Jesus didn't make Israel an independent country again, like they wanted.  But he did make the true Israel, the Church, independent from the consequences of her sin.  All Christ's believers were saved from slavery to their own wicked desires and headed toward God's sentence of eternity under his wrath in hell, but Jesus died on the cross as the perfect substitutionary sacrifice for our sins.  Now our sentence has been served and we are free.  Even better, we have the Holy Spirit in us to continue making us holy until Christ returns.

Has God called you to a task?  Does it seem that the task is impossible because you made some mistake and destroyed your career or because people simply won't give you the chance?  Perhaps you should keep believing, like Caleb, that if something is God's will, then he will bring it to pass. 

I know with in me are giants called anger, impulsiveness, discontentment, faithlessness, and impatience.  It seems like I will never be mature enough to conquer them.  But I know God sent me his Holy Spirit who will fashion me daily and yearly until they are finally gone.

I know I was called to children's ministry, but right now I'm not there.  But in the past I have led in children's ministry and have been successful.  And I am encouraged every time I see one of my students whether they are nine years old or 20 and they give me a huge hug and tell me they miss me that perhaps I can come back some time soon.  If God means me to come back, then nothing will stop it.

What are some things you need Christ to conquer in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment