Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Death of Ahab

1 Kings 22 tells of how Israel's most wicked king dies.  The Syrians or Arameans are attacking again because he did not obey the Lord in killing Ben-Hadad when Elijah told him that he would defeat them in chapter 20.  And for his disobedience, he would suffer.

Now they are attacking, and King Jehoshaphat of Judah has joined Ahab against him.  All the prophets are telling them to go because they will win.  Jehoshaphat then asks if there is a true prophet of God there.  Ahab says that there is Micaiah, but he's always so negative.  But Jehoshaphat insists on getting him.

For some reason, Micaiah tells Ahab that he will win against the Arameans, but deep down, Ahab knows that's not true.  Okay, then, Micaiah gives a heavenly courtroom scenario where God is telling the angels to put a lying tongue in the favorite prophets to tell Ahab that he will win so that he will get killed.  Ahab knows that God is going to judge him for his years of idolatry and disobedience against God.  He could either listen to the health and wealth preachers who only say good things, or he can listen to the truth and believe in God.

He puts Micaiah in prison and then goes into battle where he gets killed.  Even when he and Jehoshaphat switched clothes, God still knew which guy was which because you can't hide from God.  Either you can repent and be saved and forgiven, or you can die in your sins.  Which will it be?

And it's strange that people who truly love Jesus and are called to tell the truth to people about their sins but paired up with the good news that they can believe in Jesus and be saved are often hated by the world.  RC Sproul told of a man who won a chance to play golf with the president of the United States and Billy Graham.  The guy was so angry because he felt Billy Graham judging him, but in truth, Billy Graham said nothing.  He simply played the game.  But the man felt uncomfortable because of the God that Billy represented.

In the same way at the kitchen where I worked until the COVID-19 crisis, people despised me because of my faith. Yes they may say I'm incompetent, lazy, and bungling, but in truth, it's because they hate the God that I represent.  And I'm not in there beating them over the head with Jesus either.  I'm there doing my job as best I know how.  But they know that I go to the church where we work, teach Sunday School, and hold to conservative values.  So they talk to me like I'm a rabid dog infecting the kitchen.  But if they'd stop, they'd realize that I have problems and sin, too.  We're both separated from a holy God because of sin, but I believe that I can approach God because Jesus died for my sins.  And I believe that Jesus is better than anything I desire, therefore I don't give into my sins and don't want anyone else to do so either.

It's also interesting that as a blogger, sometimes I speak out against things I don't agree with and it prevents me from moving forward in society.  It shows the danger of the internet.  I didn't agree with the Willow Creek Leadership Summit that had speakers there who are both prosperity preachers and non-trinitarian in their theology.  I blogged about it and I saw doors close in my face.  I also don't agree that communion can be held with anything other than bread/crackers or wine/grape juice because Jesus did not consecrate anything else.  It's a sacrilege to do so.  Jesus had many things in his day he could have used to symbolize his body and blood, but he chose bread and wine.  Not lamb, not bitter herbs, not raisin cakes, but only bread and wine.  Maybe they didn't have Coke and PBJs then, but there were equivalents, and he only consecrated bread and wine.  And we must keep this sacrament sacred.  Do not partake of it, until you have the proper materials.  God will understand.  Just don't incorporate things that Jesus did not incorporate.  We come to the Lord on his terms as a privilege that must not be abused.  Will more doors close to me for saying this?  Maybe.  And I will talk about this more when I get around to talking about King Ahaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment