Saturday, October 10, 2015

3H: 6th commandment

The sixth commandment is to not commit murder. 

The Westminster Shorter catechism is best to define this. 

Question 69
Q: What is forbidden in the sixth commandment? 
A: The sixth commandment forbiddeth the taking away of our own life,1 or the life of our neighbour unjustly,2 or whatsoever tendeth thereunto.3  

Question 68
Q: What is required in the sixth commandment? 
A: The sixth commandment requireth all lawful endeavours to preserve our own life,1 and the life of others.2 

How can this commandment apply to a codependent, someone who wants to fix everything and everybody?

I know I have not taken anyone's life.  I know according to Jesus, simply hating someone is the same as murder, and I have done that.  I have had anger toward people.

I suppose the best example of this is when you want to protect someone, that you would do anything to destroy whoever harms that someone.  Do I want to protect all the unborn children snuffed out in abortion legally every second in this country?  Yes.  However, I also oppose someone bombing abortion clinics or trying to assassinate our blood-thirsty president.

But I also will not hesitate to email YouTube if they run some ad from Planned Parenthood or other websites who have Hillary campaign ads.  I may sound like a fundamentalist, and I am one, but you don't need religion to know that killing unborn children is at least questionable when there are so many other and better options.

Did I support the execution of Saddam Hussein?  Yes.  I also support capital punishment.  Is that inconsistent?  I don't think so.  Was I dancing in the street when it happened?  No.  All death is horrible.  Especially for some fellow human created in God's image.  But I believe if someone takes a life then his life should be taken to prevent further murders.  And Genesis 9 practically commands it.  If you shed man's blood, by man shall your blood be shed.  But I am also grateful for God's mercy that he can save the souls of even those people and even their current lives.  I also believe that one day my Redeemer will come and bring all justice to fruition.  He's already done that through Jesus Christ's death on the cross.  He will do that for those who have not received that gracious gift and still insist on atoning for their own mistakes even though that is impossible for anyone other than Christ.  The cross was enough.

But back to my point.  Have I murdered in my heart recently?  Am I too willing to quickly sever relations with someone over one disagreement?  Is distancing myself from someone for fear of trying to be codependent the same thing?  I don't know.  If someone answers, I will be glad for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment