Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mark: Faith, but in what?

Mark 11:18-25

Jesus just finished turning the temple upside-down because the Jewish elite where preventing Gentiles from worshiping God because their merchandise was in the only place they could congregate.  Also, they made a mockery of God's passover.  Now the Jews looked for a way to kill Jesus.

Meanwhile, the tree Jesus cursed had died.  He used that opportunity to tell the disciples to have faith in God.  If they have faith as small as a mustard seed, they can move mountains.

People use the phrase "moving mountains" to mean any obstacle in their lives.  Do I have an amazing shyness that prevents me from asking people to do stuff?  Maybe that's a mountain that my faith can move.

I agree, faith can move it, but faith in what?  My faith should not be in me or my willpower.  It will fail every time.  My faith should be in the Lord Jesus only.  Only he can change my heart and make me bold.  Only Jesus can take me through situations I'd rather not be in.  I have no power on my own except to rebel against God and do what I want.

This selfish power is what the Jewish leaders had.  They had too much self-esteem and did not notice when God the Son came to the temple and turned over tables.  Self-love and self-faith will only seek to kill Jesus and get rid of God.  True faith will sit and watch while God does all the amazing work in life.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meghan. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to note from your profile that you served as a Youth Pastor for three years before getting married to Tim. I am also glad to go through your post on Faith which is very encouraging, I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged,s trengthend and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and thepoorest of poor live, We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you and Tim come with young people to work with us during your vacation time. God willing I will be coming to the United States and will be so glad to stop by your place and meet you and see the possibility of you both coming to Mumbai to encourage the body of Christ as well as work with us in the slums of MUMBAI. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from ou very soon. God's richest blessings on you, yuor family and friends and also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2017

    ReplyDelete