Saturday, February 2, 2019

SS: David Spares Saul

This is the gist of my Sunday School lesson this past Sunday from a curriculum that had a pet theme.


Read John 10:17b-18, “I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

Do you know that we are more than pets to Jesus?  Even though he calls us sheep (and it’s not a compliment), we are his special friends who he chose to save.  We were lost in our sin and were going to die apart from God, but God sent Jesus to take our punishment for our sins on the cross.  Nobody took Jesus’s life.  He gave it because he loves us.

Now, I’m going to share a story of someone who lived long before Jesus, in fact an ancestor of Joseph, his earthly dad.  David did something a lot like Jesus would have done in his situation.


Then, we read the account from 1 Samuel 24.  David hid in a cave from Saul with his many man.  Saul wandered in there because he had to go to the bathroom.  David's men said, "Yeah, David, go kill him since he's been trying to kill you."  David cut off a corner of his robe, but then decided not to kill him.  Then, he said, "Saul, I cut off a corner of your robe and could have killed you, but I didn't."  Saul was sorry and decided to not kill David that day.  This actually happened twice.  Both times, David did not kill Saul because God had made Saul king, and he had mercy on Saul.


David knew
that God had promised to make him king, so David could have killed Saul and become king immediately. But what did David do? (Had mercy on Saul, didn’t kill him) That’s right! David didn’t kill Saul because he wanted to show mercy.

What is mercy? (It is not punishing someone, even though they deserve it.)
How is it different from grace? ( Grace is giving someone a privilege that is not deserved.)

He also knew that God had made Saul king although David would be king someday.  David showed respect by trusting that God would make him king one day and by being kind to King Saul while he waited. Just like David, God wants us to be kind and show mercy to others, too!


In just the same way, we have sinned against God and deserve to be killed in his anger.  But God showed mercy on us and sent Jesus to die for our sins.  David risked his life by having mercy on Saul.  Jesus laid down his life to have mercy on us.  By doing thus, God took away his anger from us that we deserved (that's mercy), and allows us the privilege of living in heaven with him and serving him now which we don't deserve (that's grace). 

I also gave scenarios where a kid would have to show mercy.  A kid hit you.  He probably deserves to be hit back.  How do you show mercy?  By not hitting him (which isn't allowed anyway) and telling the teacher.  How do you show grace?  By asking him to be friends and to play with you.

The people at lunch are making fun of your best friend and you stick up for her.  Then they start calling you a baby and accuse you of watching baby shows.  How do you show mercy? By not making fun of them in return.  How do you show grace?  By still sitting with them.  (This really happened to me.  And you know those baby shows that they made fun of me for?  The next year they were like, you should watch these shows!)

And lastly, someone accidentally trips you in the hall.  How do you show mercy?  By not getting made and tripping in return.  How do you show grace?  Helping this person.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meghan. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in following Jesus Christ. It is joy to know you who served the church as Pastor from some time and now you attend another church after your marriage. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog post on "David Spares Saul". The question at the last "How do you show mercy and grace to a person who accidentally trips you in the hall. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the l ove of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your church to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete