Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Lady in 2 John

"The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all who know the truth,  because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us forever."  2 John 1


So, there is speculation about whether the lady mentioned is an actual lady or if she is a personification for the Church with her children as its members.


Relying on my only liberal belief, I'm going to say that she's an actual lady in charge of a congregation.  I can't prove it.  People will not be persuaded.  But I think this is an example of a female elder.  So sue me.


This is why I believe she is an actual lady: verse 13, "The children of your elect sister greet you."  There is only one Church if I recall, so if one mentions a sister, this must mean a congregation.  Again, this could mean that John is calling the intended church a woman, but then why would he say lady?  He doesn't address anyone else as lady.  And he seems unfazed that she serves a congregation.  He only wants to give her advice about heresies in her neighborhood and how to deal with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment