Thursday, December 17, 2015

Apostles' Creed: Maker of Heaven and Earth

I finished going through each of the ten commandments to examine my sin.  I plan to start going through the Apostles' Creed to examine the glorious solution: our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I started doing this because I had been attending Celebrate Recovery: a place to deal with your Hurts, Habits, and Hangups.  I call those the 3 Hs.

During CR, people either recite the 8 steps to recovery based on the Beatitudes or the 12 steps to recovery based on AA's twelve steps, and then we say the Serenity Prayer attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr.

Although there is a lot to glean from this, I want to explore real time-tested creeds and Biblical lists.  So, we just finished the Ten Commandments; here is the Apostles' Creed.

Did you know that the church historically has divided the Creed into 12 sections?  This could go along with the Twelve steps.

The first section: I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

The first thing to know is that God created all the heavens and earth.  He also created me and sovereignly decided where I would be born, when I would live, and how long I would live.

He also wants me to be faithful to him and obey his commandments.  If there is sin in my life, then I cannot stand before a holy God or I will be consumed.  I have a real problem, but I also have hope because I know God always knew that I would sin and planned a way to fellowship with him in a way where I would not suffer His Wrath for all eternity, something I very much deserve.

Read through Genesis 1-3 to know the story of his creation, his love, and his betrayal by his own creatures, the humans, a betrayal that lives in all of Adam and Eve's children, you and me.

Romans 3:9-20
What then? Are we Jews[a] any better off?[b] No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10 as it is written:
“None is righteous, no, not one;
11     no one understands;
    no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
    no one does good,
    not even one.”
13 “Their throat is an open grave;
    they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
14     “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16     in their paths are ruin and misery,
17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
18     “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being[c] will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.


No comments:

Post a Comment