Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Adventures with David -- Week two

This week, I can't remember much of what I studied in Beth Moore's lessons, but I will go over the main questions and things I underlined. 

First day, I remember this being an excellent lesson from doing this before.  This is where Jonathan makes a covenant with David.  David now lives with Saul as a son-in-law.  Jonathan knows full well that David will take his place on the throne, but he still loves and honors David.  Beth asked if there was in instant bond to a new friend in my life?  I can say yes.  My friend Hannah Collins was an instant best friend the moment I met her.  We have the same beliefs and politics and media tastes.  She's way busy in college now, but I still think she is a swell gal.  Beth compares Jonathan's actions to God and Abraham in Genesis 15.  This was the first time I read about the smoking pot passing through the pieces of the animals.  It was a sign that the one passing through would die if the covenant was not fulfilled.  God passed through the pieces.  Abe didn't.  God eventually did come to die for us because we could not complete our end of the bargain.  Jonathan gave David his armor, risked his life to defend him before Saul, and eventually did die in battle before David could be king.  In 1 John 4:10, 15, it is clear that God loved us way before we loved him.

Good quote, "Few people have 'in mind the things of God' at the risk of their ow favor and position."  This was true of Saul.  He wanted to be king and even God.  He was not going to give his throne up to a runt like David. 

Skipping to day 3, Beth asks if I've ever been talked out of a negative spiral of emotions only to be captivated by those feelings again?  My senior year of college I dated Chris.  I was into bad music, bad affectionate relations, and even fell into despair.  My relationship with my parents were strained and by the grace of God, I got out of that after three months with my faith and my virginity.  During holidays when I separated from Chris, I would go back to before and put away the bad music and want to start over, but when I saw him again, I would revert back.  I finally resolved to break up with him. 
This lesson is when Saul got an evil spirit and David played the harp to soothe him.  He would calm Saul down, and then Saul would be back to his angry self in no time.  "Our best course when negative emotions begin controlling us is to fall before the throne of grace and seek God."  Amen, Beth.  I am totally depraved unless God takes control of my life.  I'm so thankful that he did.  Later, David ran to Samuel when Saul threw a spear at him.  "Why do you think he ran to this particular person?"  Sam had anointed David to be king.  He was wondering if Samuel knew what he had gotten David into.  He had to be reminded that God is in control.  He said David would be king, David would live to be king.  When I'm being tormented by a spirit, I have to pray vigorously for the Holy Spirit to fight for me.  sometimes I need to go to someone older who I trust and talk it out, and thank God for bringing them into my life.  Either way, only God can exercise the demons. 

That's all I will write today.  Would love feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment