Monday, June 18, 2012

Introverted Visitation

I love reading articles about introverts in the ministry.  Here is one. So far, I have not made a hospital visit, nor really any pastoral visits.  I'm often even out of the loop of what's going on in my church and would know nothing if Mary, my housemate, was not my eyes and ears. 

All I know is that one time I went to a funeral, a softball scrimmage, another funeral, made a cake eonce, and I do Shepherd's Staff.  I also do Refuge.  My pastoral quota definitely lacks, but when I do, I don't pretend to not be an introvert.  I'm often silent, can't think of things to say, and if there's lots of people there, usually sit by myself. 

Refuge is the only place where I really talk and it's only to tell the ladies if they are pregnant and then urge them to know Jesus and find a real church.  And some of them, plead for them to not kill their baby.

Here's one of the article's section titles: you don't have to become an extrovert to be a shepherd.

Wednesday I'm totally looking at another potluck night.  Probably one where I have to stop by Publix and get some hummus.  I go there to support the church, not to be exciting and popular.  If it were not for craft projects, I don't know if I'd be able to talk to the kids.

The last section title really drives me home: if you let your introversion control you, you will fail as a pastor. 

I'll go on to say, you'll fail as a person.  If every introvert followed their feelings, half the population would stay home and never be social.  That would not be a good thing.  You still have to remember to call people and give up your comfort to reach out to your friends.  Myself, I need to start reminding my pastor to let me know when I need to visit someone because I'm tired of being out of the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment