Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Winnie the Pooh

I got to see the film in theaters over the weekend.  We have the old VHS tape of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I remember my brother watching it over and over again.  It's one of my favorites, too.



That being said, this new movie isn't nearly as good.  It's just not the old Winnie the Pooh with Sterling Holloway or Paul Winchell.  In all the recent Disney movies that have music, none of the songs are memorable.  And in this one, it's like all the characters were less noble.

Pooh for instance.  It's like the writers of this movie thought, he's yellow and fat, Homer Simpson is yellow and fat, so let's make Pooh more like Homer Simpson.  All he cares about is getting his honey.  He will abandon the rest of the gang to pursue honey.  He will even fall into a trap for a honey pot that he knows is a decoy.  When the narrator says he's going to do something, he says, "I am?"  It's like, he's really dumb and just wants honey.



Owl used to be really smart, but in this movie he's smart and arrogant.  He insists that Christopher Robin's not says he was captured by a Backson, when it just said he'd be back soon.  They all get stuck in a pit.  Owl can't seem to remember that he can fly out and perhaps even fly the rest of them out. 



I did like that they brought back the old plot of finding Eeyore's tail.  (Even this Eeyore is way more depressing than the old Eeyore, but he's still my favorite.)  I kinda miss the Ephalunts and Woozles.



I think my main disappointment was that I thought Keane would have music in it.  You know, that British band?  They are amazing.  They had a song on the preview for it.  But no Keane music in the film.  Don't they know music is the number one thing that gets me to see a movie?  Zooey Deschanel, however, could not have done a better job singing the theme song.  It was quite adorable. 

I just want Disney to re-release the old Pooh movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment