Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Women's Choirs and Page-Turning

Again, I began to reminisce toward my freshman year at Trevecca and the time I went through my music classes with stars in my eyes.

Being in Nashville, I actually wanted to be a famous star.  In those four years, it did not happen, but I was well-liked at least.  Looking back, I recall a friend I had who suddenly moved and I never heard from her again.

It was orientation week, and I auditioned for some choirs, in fact every choir I could audition for.  One of those choirs was an all-girl's group called Treble Tones.  I sang for the woman who would lead it.  We seemed to get along well.  Before I left, she told me that her three children were in a current CCM singing group at the time.  I didn't listen to them regularly, but they were well-known.  I left feeling very excited that I was going to be in Nashville, meeting semi-famous people without even knowing it.  Perhaps I'll even be discovered.

The school year started.  I'd go to the women's choir, then I'd go to lunch.  Sometimes I had someone to sit with.  As normal, I usually sat alone until I saw someone come in.  Often I would see the Treble Tones leader, DeLise, come in and sit with a tray covered in food (and she stayed thin b/c she was a concert pianist for different Trevecca functions.  Really, that's how she stayed thin).  I began to sit by her and talk to her.  She soon became a dear friend that I would sit with almost every day.

A few times, she invited the ladies to her house in Franklin, and sometimes we'd go to some function at her church.  We met her daughters and other well-known people.  We felt really cool.  One time, another girl and I even stayed at her house overnight and I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and ran into one of the daughters who recognized me from seeing me at Treble Tones outings.  We were both still asleep.

One time, the woman played piano for the Trevecca Master Chorale, the community choir on campus.  I can't remember how I ended up at that practice, but she asked me to turn pages for her.  I did so at the concert, too, and afterward the whole group would go to some restaurant in Nashville.  I thought it was absolutely amazing to turn pages for her, and she always seemed to appreciate it even though, looking back, I don't see how unique that is, but you do have to know how to follow music scores.

Sophomore year, I still sang on Treble Tones the first semester.  Second semester, I had to take an English class at the same time, so I could no longer sing on that group.  However, I still would sit with them woman and talk with her.  I intended to join the Treble Tones again the following year if I had no more class conflicts.

Junior year came, and the Treble Tones had a new director.  The original woman moved to Kentucky, got married, and I never had contact with her again.  I was fairly crushed by that, but I immediately auditioned for Covenant Choir, the co-ed group, and had a lovely time the next two years being led by Dr. Koehn and thriving.

However, I often think of DeLise, wonder how she is, and if I'll ever hear from her again.  I heard that she had called some other people I knew, but she never called or emailed me.  Perhaps it was for the best.  I don't begrudge it.  Sometimes, I just look back and wish I could tell her how I am doing now: how I've been to seminary, lead a youth group, go to paralegal school, work for an attorney part-time, and date a more-than decent boyfriend.

Either way, it's good to remember a woman who practiced piano all day long, truly believe in Jesus, supported conservative values (Trevecca was and is not as conservative as they would like to be), watched out for my spiritual well-being, only took one break a day from playing piano to eat in the caf, could identify the exact pitch I would play on piano whether Middle C or A#, and greatly appreciated even a small assistance such as turning her pages at the concerts.  I hope she reads this and sends me a holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment