Tuesday, April 9, 2013

G is for Growing Old

It took me a while to figure out what I would write for G.  It's a day later, and I received a question last night about how I feel about growing old.

This is from someone who is always tired of people thinking she is 19.  I complain, but people say, "you'll like that someday."  Okay fine.  I still enjoy the idea of growing older.  I enjoy my life now in the present, but I think my gray hairs are beautiful, and I love older people because they've experienced so much.

My Granny passed away last November.  I heard it said that when an old person dies, a whole library burns down.  Granny had first hand knowledge of the Great Depression, WWII, the 50s, 60s, 70s, and she was a wealth of information.  My grandfather Pappy was a Merchant Marine in WWII.  My fiance interviewed him and videotaped it.  I wish I had done that with Granny when she was more lucid.  However, I just have the memories.

Anyway, the TV glorifies beauty and looking younger, but aging is a beautiful thing.  Of course, I don't have the aches that come with it yet, but there is nothing as beautiful as an older person with wisdom and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment