Monday, January 23, 2012

The Teens Showed up!

We finally kicked off "teen" Sunday School yesterday with our 11-year-old, and my dad helping to teach.  I think this is going to work out well.  For the first part, Dad is still in the sanctuary practicing the praise songs while I take the two kids back, chat, pray, and start on a question from the Westminster Shorter Catechism.  Then, we do the first activity; yesterday I had them read from John 1:1-18, pick a word or phrase and act it out in Charades.  That was so funny.  The girl picked "bear witness" and decided to pretend she was a bear, the animal.  I'll never see that phrase the same way.

We then reunited with the text to read it seriously when Dad walks in.  Then we read the passage, and Dad pretty much takes over the rest of the class.  We mention Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses that don't believe Jesus is God.  We also found proof texts about God the Father as our only Savior, and Jesus being God.  All in all, I don't know if me and Dad team taught or if we were just trying one-up each other.  I hope the kids felt like they could talk openly and ask questions.  Aubrie did ask about how God can be so eternal that he always existed.  Nobody really knows how to wrap their mind around that, being only creatures.  In fact, it still gives me nightmares.  Aubrie was the first to really put the weirdness into words.  "Not only does he go forward forever, but he goes backwards forever, too."  I know.  Anybody want to try to explain that one without freaking out?  I haven't successfully done so, yet.

I'll talk about my kids' lesson tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment