Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Abraham and Lot break up

I don't plan on having any teen Sunday School this week, but I planned a lesson just in case another teen shows up.  First, I would probably recap last week's lesson about Abraham and his family.  I'll ask about his relatives and also about three promises God made to him: land, children, and to be a blessing to all nations.  I'll ask one more question about who all arrived with him to Canaan: Sarah and Lot.

The intro activity is a taste test.  Get four different brands of Cola (or Co-Coler if you're from the south), remove the labels and label them A to D.  See if they can figure out which is which.  I'd probably just get some 20 ounce bottles and cups, not 2 liters, because usually the most kids I have is one.  I think this experiment is for discussing decisions.

Then, we read Genesis 13.  We're reminded that Lot joined Abraham.  He had probably also seen Egypt when Abe escaped the famine and narrowly escaped losing Sarah to Pharaoh (which by the way, I realize I forgot to teach last week.  I might have to incorporate that story in with Hagar).  We also notice that both Abraham and Lot were wealthy. 

Despite their wealth, there was limited grass and water for both parties to live in the same place.  Here is one of the ways that I admire Abraham.  He just seemed to get along with everyone.  He even got along with the King of Sodom, even though he refused to take compensation from him for saving them in the war in chapter 14.  Even though, Abraham and Lot couldn't live on the same property anymore, their parting was peaceful, Abraham gave Lot the first choice in where to live, and they still got along afterward from what I recall.  Abraham continued to pray for Lot when he knew God would destroy Sodom.  I have a lot to learn from Abraham as far as people skills go. 

Lot picked his land because it looked beautiful and well-watered.  The land looked good and prosperous on the outside, but when he moved there, it was actually Sodom and Gomorrah, the towns that were so wicked that God had to destroy them.  2 Peter 2:7 even says that Lot was distressed by their wickedness.  Sadly, Lot was not so distressed that he would move away until two angels dragged him, his wife, and his two daughters by the hands.  That's like us when we compromise with the world.  We want so badly to be at peace with worldly people in order to win them to Christ, but then we forget where to draw the line in interacting with them.  If we don't constantly read the Scriptures and pray to God, then we will get lost in all the lures of the world.

Finally, Abraham was sad after Lot left.  It seemed that since Abe still didn't have a child, that he considered Lot to be the heir to his property.  God, instead of getting mad over Abe forgetting his promise, gently reminds him that he promised him land, a child, and countless descendants who would bless all the nations on the earth. 

What does this passage teach about Abram's dependence on God?  What criteria did Lot use when making his decision?  What criteria should we use when making a major decision?

And I'll throw in a question for myself, how can I use the example of Abraham to get along with people?  It's not the point of the lesson, but I seriously need to know when to choose battles, not be so open about objections, but be open about them when it's appropriate, and how to not appear judgmental.  God didn't judge Abraham; how dare I be harsh with others? 

Finally, there will be a multiple choice quiz, but I might just do that map game, again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment