Monday, August 15, 2011

Lot and Abraham booklets

Yesterday, I had three girls for children's church: Alexis, Emily, and Rebecca, ages 8, 7, and 7 respectively.  First I had them do a word puzzle.  See a picture, and write its first letter under the picture.  It should spell out, "The Lord is faithful to all his promises."  It's a Psalm, and I forget the chapter and verse.  Then I recapped last week's lesson.  We met Abraham.  God told him to move from Ur to Canaan.  Sarah and Lot went with him.  God promised Abraham land, a child, and that his children would be blessings to all people on the earth. 

Then I had some of them read from Genesis 13.  After a few verses, I had them start cutting pictures and pasting them into a book that I prepared that had the gist of the story.  Hopefully if the booklets made it home, then they can review them during the week.  Then, there was a maze asking true or false questions about the story of Lot.  if the answer was wrong, they went back to start.  If it was right, they moved to the next question.  Then we sang Father Abraham.  Those kids almost break dance during that song. 

Later that night, I met up with my friend Erin who I had not talked to in a while.  I had three extra booklets, so I sat and cut and pasted pictures.  When Erin got there, I just colored my demo book.  I don't know if it's bad social cues to meet a friend for coffee and then just color the whole time you talk, but I honestly feel like it gives my hands something to do.  Maybe if I invited her to color with me that would be okay.  I feel like crafts bond people.  But, anyway, we talked like an hour and a half, so it was a productive time.  I think I'll give the extra booklets to the ones who didn't come this week. 

I start my first Clayton State University class tonight.  Intro to Law and Ethics.  I'm already reading a citation manual for my Thursday class.  It's a bit more interesting than the phone book but kind of scares me about how precise my writing must be in preparing for and being a paralegal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment