Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Listening to Records

This week I've been listening to the classic CCM band, Daniel Amos.  Daniel Amos is about the most bizarre band ever.  They are definitely Christian, but they aren't afraid to be honest with their lyrics (read: uncouth).  Looking back over all the blogs I've read this past year, DA might possibly be seeker sensitive, but I love their music.  I wish they had crossed over rather than other bands. 

Starting out, DA had a country gospel sound.



I don't know how long this lasted, but it wasn't for long.  

Next is the Daniel Amos I think of -- the era of the Alarma Chronicles.  My parents only had the last three of the 4 part series, so I never heard the first Alarma record until this week on YouTube.  The user Leppod, who posts some of the songs, claims that CCM called their social commentary the harshest of any band published by a Christian label.  I disagree.  They could by cynical at points, but they're right for the most part.



The Alarma records remind me of Sci-fi set to music.  These records should have been more wide-spread.  Listeners will think of ELO, Depeche Mode, David Bowie, and possibly just Daniel Amos. 

The second record: Doppelganger, has the most criticism of pop Christianity and noticeable sarcasm toward a consumer culture that secularized the church even then.



I wish girls today could hear this song



This song would be about me if I was a music star.



The next Alarma album, Vox Humana, is Dad's favorite.



I wish I could find my favorite from that album, "She's All Heart", but right now I can't even decipher the guitar chords for it.  The one song, "Home Permanent" has a mom making chocolate Bibles to witness to the unsaved father, so they still have jabs at pop Christianity.  This next song, however, is amazing and very God-glorifying



The final Alarma record is my favorite.  It has the most love songs that are actually about Jesus.  These guys have mastered what today's CCM can't: Love songs to Jesus or about Jesus that don't sound creepy.



And this, the one who posted claimed this is the most beautiful song ever.  I'd almost agree but I think that award goes to Wendy and Mary's "Simeon's Lullaby," but that's another post.  Here's their "Beautiful One."  Move over, Tim Hughes.



After the Alarma days, they we're still good but okay.  It's like, when Nirvana was around, they tried their hand at grunge with Bibleland.  It's not the same, plus the album has a swear word on it.  It's like, mid-life crisis.

They also associated with other amazing bands such as the Choir and Common Children.  Terry Taylor, the lead singer sang in other projects like Swirling Eddies and Lost Dogs.  Their most recent success has been their association with the City on a Hill records, the first praise and worship albums that I would actually listen to.  I hope someday, I'll find the rest of the Alarma records on CD but so far I only have Vox Humana. 

Hope you enjoy these!

No comments:

Post a Comment