Saturday, April 28, 2012

X is for X-tra W is for Women

Yes, I'm cheating.  But I'm not really in the contest in the first place.  This comes from a conversation from an extremist.  As you know, I'm not egalitarian anymore, but I still cling to the idea that women can be leaders in the church if not ordained pastors.  I need something liberal to cling to.  But seriously, Paul's words in 1 Timothy and 1 Corinthians give me the impression that if women are approved by godly men to teach, who are not feminists, who really are theological goldmines, and there is a man leading them, then they can serve as elders and deacons and teach Sunday School.

So, I'm talking to this extreme Calvinist and mention that I'm a youth pastor.  He asks, "pastor or leader?"  I said, I'm a Christian education director and all my men are under 18, and there are only two of them.  He was like, "Good, women can't be pastors."  I didn't argue it.  I changed the subject.  But even those who agree that women should not be ordained can see that women can serve in many capacities in church.  The PCA denom says they can be pastors, just nor ordained.  John Piper says the only thing they can't be is ordained.  The ARP denom lets them be deacons but not elders.

And I know children's ministry is as important as pastoral ministry.  It's an extension of it.  I teach Bible lessons to kids during the pastor's sermon.  But I'm not ordained, don't seek ordination, nor do I have an M. Div.  I just have a seminary degree in Christian education and really remember when God called me to youth ministry.  I wanted someone in it who wasn't in it for pizza parties and beach trips but really did teach theology.  I knew I would do it right.

So I'm female, I'm a youth pastor, and I'm totally fine with that.  I'll be a paralegal soon, and if I ever get married and pregnant, my goal is to be a stay-at-home mom and if possible work online, perform the role God gave me as a woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment